Welcome!

Read any good books lately? I have! Grab a cup of coffee or a beverage of your choice and sit back, relax, and have a peek at the books I've loved, the books I didn't, and the reasons why. Enjoy, and happy reading!

NOW LIVE!

It's official! The OGBDA Blog has expanded and our website is now live. Please visit the One Good Book Deserves Another website to see the new site and drop a line to my awesome webmaster, who I've finally let out of the webdesign dungeon...for a quick break, anyway, before he'll be commanded back to the grindstone. ;-)

This is the first of many exciting changes that will be happening over the next several weeks, so stay tuned for more news as OGBDA continues to evolve and grow, and as always, happy reading!

~Tracy

Review Archive

Favorite Quotes

Kindle Fire

Blog Buttons

Get Listed!

Parajunkee Design

Featured In

NetGalley

Amazon

Frost Moon by Anthony Francis

Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: The Skindancer Series, Book 1
Formats: PaperbackKindle

Frost Moon5 Stars
Incredible Urban Fantasy Debut


Welcome to the world of Dakota Frost, the best magical tattoo artist in the south. Strap yourselves in and prepare for a rocking introduction to a slightly alternate world of vampires, weres, and true magics, seers, witches, and all manner of other goodly beasties. There's murder and mayhem and a brutal beating or three. There's confusion and mystery, doubt and fear, hope and loss. In short, this opening volley across the mighty bow of the Urban Fantasy genre is a classy, intelligent, imaginative romp. And the glue holding this fabulous book together is Dakota Frost and a legion of very believable, if fantastical, secondary and ancillary characters.

I was unsure of the story and the world at first. It started off a little slow for me, and Dakota struck me as a little too brash - all huge tattooed Mohawk tough chick with a little too much ego and not enough depth. For that reason, the first part of the story took some time to get through. It wasn't bad, never bad...just slow. There was decent world building and a solid introduction to Dakota and some of the other characters, and one layer of the complex and dangerous plot started off almost from page one and unfolded in true Old Southern fashion...at its own smooth, steady, but sometimes confusing pace.

I'm not sure, really, at what point Frost Moon really started to gel for me, but after a few chapters, I started to realize that behind that brash exterior, Dakota was a woman of heart and substance. She was sometimes a little too quick to judge. Sometimes a little too mouthy. Sometimes put herself into untenable situations without thinking things through. And yet ultimately sympathetic for her acknowledgement of her faults and peccadilloes and the slow development of her character. I ended up very much liking and respecting her, and maybe even recognizing aspects of her personality. I was particularly impressed with some of the choices she made and paths she took based on what happens to her. I think her character remained believable and sympathetic within the realm of the mythos and reality both.

While I definitely consider Frost Moon to be stronger in the character-driven aspects than the plot-driven, the plot was well written and deliciously muddy. So much happens in such a short span of time - and some reviewers have criticized the book for it - but I wasn't bothered by that particular aspect. For me it intensified the inherent threats and ratcheted up the danger to cloying, choking force. I'm a little annoyed, actually, at how quickly I ended up feeling so attached to some of these characters and their pathos, because parts of this book left me feeling far more than was comfortable with given the conclusion of some of the action. The ending was a pleasant surprise for being a very UNpleasant but truly surprising conclusion. This is truly and brilliantly a dark urban fantasy in all respects.

I've heard that Blood Moon, the second book in The Skindancer Series is due out sometime later this year. All I can say is I hope so. I'll be quite peeved if I can't spend some more time with Dakota and crew very soon. Frost Moon is one of my favorite reads of the year and I've got to have more.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Ratings Guide

Here is a rundown of what the star ratings mean to me! It's not a perfect system, so you may see me add in a .5 star here and there if my impression of the book falls somewhere between these:

5 Stars - Loved it
4 Stars - Liked it
3 Stars - It's okay
2 Stars - Didn't like it
1 Star - Hated it

2014 Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Tracy has read 22 books toward her goal of 175 books.
hide

Goodreads

Tracy's bookshelf: read

Zero at the BoneHead Over HeelsLord of the WolfynIn Total SurrenderA Win-Win PropositionNorth of Need

More of Tracy's books »
Book recommendations, book reviews, quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Follow OGBDA!

Follow with Linky

Coming Reviews