Welcome!

Read any good books lately? I have! Grab a cup of coffee or a beverage of your choice and sit back, relax, and have a peek at the books I've loved, the books I didn't, and the reasons why. Enjoy, and happy reading!

NOW LIVE!

It's official! The OGBDA Blog has expanded and our website is now live. Please visit the One Good Book Deserves Another website to see the new site and drop a line to my awesome webmaster, who I've finally let out of the webdesign dungeon...for a quick break, anyway, before he'll be commanded back to the grindstone. ;-)

This is the first of many exciting changes that will be happening over the next several weeks, so stay tuned for more news as OGBDA continues to evolve and grow, and as always, happy reading!

~Tracy

Review Archive

Favorite Quotes

Kindle Fire

Blog Buttons

Get Listed!

Parajunkee Design

Featured In

NetGalley

Amazon

Miss Lonely Hearts by Charlene Teglia

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: N/A
Formats: Paperback, Kindle

Miss Lonely Hearts3 Stars
Just Okay For Me, Sorry

The problem that I had with Miss Lonely Hearts wasn't the plot, really - though it's more than a little predictable and cliched (as is most romantic light comedies to some extent), nor the sex, which was actually a highlight of the book, as it was written with both sizzle and fun, and I love when an author remembers that sex can be fun. No, my primary issue with Miss Lonely Hearts was the fact that I couldn't relate at all to the female lead character, Cassandra, and by the end, I was really tired of hearing how she was so afraid, not only because she has to be married by the time she's 28 thanks to her grandfather's archaic ideology (which Cassandra scoffs at, yet totally buys into), but because time was running out for her to have children and be a good wife. She is 27 years old, about a decade before that thought would really be terrifying!! That really put me off her character, and it was mentioned more than once. Hell, it was a major factor in the driving plot of the story.

Unfortunately, I said that was my primary issue with the book. It wasn't my only one. Another problem I had was the utter lack of depth in the plot or development of the emotional relationship between Cassandra and Jason (again, the sexual relationship was sexy and fun) and the really weird pacing. Everything happened at a snail's pace for the first few chapters of the book, then sped up to a blurry warp speed at the end. The middle was a muddle.

I can't say I liked the book, but I didn't hate it either - I did find Jason rather endearing, and I so wish there had been more flesh to this book, because I really would've liked to have spent more time with him going through the process of realizing that he wasn't being had by Miss Lonely Hearts...and stumbling through trying to change gears at a much more realistic pace to get to his HEA.

And one final issue - I felt the "reveal" of the identity of Miss Lonely Hearts (by that point in the book, I didn't really care who it was) was...odd and a little disconcerting. Bordering on icky. Sorry.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Ratings Guide

Here is a rundown of what the star ratings mean to me! It's not a perfect system, so you may see me add in a .5 star here and there if my impression of the book falls somewhere between these:

5 Stars - Loved it
4 Stars - Liked it
3 Stars - It's okay
2 Stars - Didn't like it
1 Star - Hated it

2014 Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Tracy has read 22 books toward her goal of 175 books.
hide

Goodreads

Tracy's bookshelf: read

Zero at the BoneHead Over HeelsLord of the WolfynIn Total SurrenderA Win-Win PropositionNorth of Need

More of Tracy's books »
Book recommendations, book reviews, quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Follow OGBDA!

Follow with Linky

Coming Reviews