Welcome!

Read any good books lately? I have! Grab a cup of coffee or a beverage of your choice and sit back, relax, and have a peek at the books I've loved, the books I didn't, and the reasons why. Enjoy, and happy reading!

NOW LIVE!

It's official! The OGBDA Blog has expanded and our website is now live. Please visit the One Good Book Deserves Another website to see the new site and drop a line to my awesome webmaster, who I've finally let out of the webdesign dungeon...for a quick break, anyway, before he'll be commanded back to the grindstone. ;-)

This is the first of many exciting changes that will be happening over the next several weeks, so stay tuned for more news as OGBDA continues to evolve and grow, and as always, happy reading!

~Tracy

Review Archive

Favorite Quotes

Kindle Fire

Blog Buttons

Get Listed!

Parajunkee Design

Featured In

NetGalley

Amazon

Coyote Dreams (The Walker Papers, Book 3) by C.E. Murphy

Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: The Walker Papers, Book 3
Format: Mass Market Paperback, Kindle

Coyote Dreams (The Walker Papers, Book 3)4 Stars
Coyote Dreams is a Strong Installment

Coyote Dreams, the third book of the Walker Papers, is a solid story with a tighter and better-paced plot than the previous book in the series, Thunderbird Falls. It's far more cohesive and I think it's the best of the first three books.

Without a doubt, C.E. Murphy's greatest strength in this series in particular is fantastic character development. I may not always like Joanne Walker (Siobhan Walkingstick) or the choices she makes, but I still love her as a character. She's so delightfully human, flawed and sometimes petty, petulant, and frustrating. She's also got one of the most amusing internal monologues I've ever read and her sarcastic and biting wit drives the action of the plot. The first person narrative is a perfect vehicle for her character.

Supported by the familiar and spectacular secondary characters - her boss Captain Michael Morrison and her pseudo-paternal influence and robust septuagenarian cab diver Gary in particular - Murphy's Coyote Dreams shines brightest during the continuing development of those interpersonal relationships. And some of my favorite reading ever are any scenes between Joanne and Morrison. Murphy has been absolutely brilliant during every single step of their tense and reluctant relationship.

I believe that the three books, Urban Shaman, Thunderbird Falls, and Coyote Dreams would've been complete as a trilogy - there was satisfying arc of character development and a plot theme that came full circle. That being said, I'm thrilled that the Walker Papers has been continued, and look forward to book four, Walking Dead (The Walker Papers, Book 4).

2 comments:

Brasil said...

I will admit to being a bit wary of staying with the Walker Paper novels after reading Thunderbird Falls.

Tracy said...

Hey, Brasil. The series has some ups and downs, but I can't help but read them. I do enjoy the characters a lot. Coyote Dreams was much better than Thunderbird Falls, which was probably my least favorite in the series so far, and the last book I read was great.

Post a Comment

Ratings Guide

Here is a rundown of what the star ratings mean to me! It's not a perfect system, so you may see me add in a .5 star here and there if my impression of the book falls somewhere between these:

5 Stars - Loved it
4 Stars - Liked it
3 Stars - It's okay
2 Stars - Didn't like it
1 Star - Hated it

2014 Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Tracy has read 22 books toward her goal of 175 books.
hide

Goodreads

Tracy's bookshelf: read

Zero at the BoneHead Over HeelsLord of the WolfynIn Total SurrenderA Win-Win PropositionNorth of Need

More of Tracy's books »
Book recommendations, book reviews, quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Follow OGBDA!

Follow with Linky

Coming Reviews