Welcome!

Read any good books lately? I have! Grab a cup of coffee or a beverage of your choice and sit back, relax, and have a peek at the books I've loved, the books I didn't, and the reasons why. Enjoy, and happy reading!

NOW LIVE!

It's official! The OGBDA Blog has expanded and our website is now live. Please visit the One Good Book Deserves Another website to see the new site and drop a line to my awesome webmaster, who I've finally let out of the webdesign dungeon...for a quick break, anyway, before he'll be commanded back to the grindstone. ;-)

This is the first of many exciting changes that will be happening over the next several weeks, so stay tuned for more news as OGBDA continues to evolve and grow, and as always, happy reading!

~Tracy

Review Archive

Favorite Quotes

Kindle Fire

Blog Buttons

Get Listed!

Parajunkee Design

Featured In

NetGalley

Amazon

Hunting Ground (Alpha & Omega, Book 2) by Patricia Briggs

Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Alpha & Omega, Book 2
Formats: Mass Market Paperback, Kindle

Hunting Ground (Alpha & Omega, Book 2)4.5 Stars
Hunting Ground Has Style, Sentiment, and Strength

I'm probably going to sound like a total nut job when I admit this, but when I started reading Hunting Ground, I had this moment of...sublime contentment, I guess. I'd love to say that it was an utterly unfamiliar feeling when reading, because at least then my insanity would be localized and recent in origin, but alas, it's a feeling I'm quite familiar with. Happens every time I pick up a Briggs book and start reading. There's an intangible...something...in her her books that I've always found uniquely satisfying. The Mercy Thompson series is still my favorite, but with the second in the Alpha & Omega series, I'm warming to Anna and Charles Cornick.

I'll admit, Cry Wolf (Alpha and Omega, Book 1) wasn't my favorite Briggs book. I had just as much appreciation for her writing style and that nebulous sense of comfort reading it, but I was wary of Anna and the whole Omega concept. I also have a personal preference for linear story telling and Anna and Charles' series starts earlier in the Mercy Thompson series timeline than the last book I'd read in that.

In Hunting Ground, however, something really started to click for me. Probably right around the time Anna realized that Omega didn't equal ubersubmissive and started to acknowledge some of her own power in the pack hierarchy and in her personal relationship with Charles. The Omega role was explained a bit more and I liked that explanation. On top of that, I enjoyed the deepening relationship between Anna and Charles, and thoroughly enjoyed seeing their understanding of each other grow and expand as well. I'm heartened by Anna starting to heal a bit from her tragic past...or if not heal exactly, at least...start to triumph over the residual effects. She's got a long way to go, but I totally appreciate Briggs giving her a very natural-feeling evolution instead of rushing the process for the sake of story.

The Alpha & Omega series still seems slightly lacking in the layers and depth of the Mercy Thompson series. Hunting Ground less so than Cry Wolf, though, with the threads of were politics, the Beast, and a vampire goon squad - and ANY time you toss a Fae into the mix, you get all sorts of complexity. So I have every confidence that this series will continue to get better with each installment. I just wish we didn't have to wait so darn long between each of them!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Ratings Guide

Here is a rundown of what the star ratings mean to me! It's not a perfect system, so you may see me add in a .5 star here and there if my impression of the book falls somewhere between these:

5 Stars - Loved it
4 Stars - Liked it
3 Stars - It's okay
2 Stars - Didn't like it
1 Star - Hated it

2014 Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Tracy has read 22 books toward her goal of 175 books.
hide

Goodreads

Tracy's bookshelf: read

Zero at the BoneHead Over HeelsLord of the WolfynIn Total SurrenderA Win-Win PropositionNorth of Need

More of Tracy's books »
Book recommendations, book reviews, quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Follow OGBDA!

Follow with Linky

Coming Reviews