Welcome!

Read any good books lately? I have! Grab a cup of coffee or a beverage of your choice and sit back, relax, and have a peek at the books I've loved, the books I didn't, and the reasons why. Enjoy, and happy reading!

NOW LIVE!

It's official! The OGBDA Blog has expanded and our website is now live. Please visit the One Good Book Deserves Another website to see the new site and drop a line to my awesome webmaster, who I've finally let out of the webdesign dungeon...for a quick break, anyway, before he'll be commanded back to the grindstone. ;-)

This is the first of many exciting changes that will be happening over the next several weeks, so stay tuned for more news as OGBDA continues to evolve and grow, and as always, happy reading!

~Tracy

Review Archive

Favorite Quotes

Kindle Fire

Blog Buttons

Get Listed!

Parajunkee Design

Featured In

NetGalley

Amazon

My Fair Captain by J.L. Langley

Genre: LGBT - M/M SciFi Regency Romance
Series: N/A
Rating: 3 Stars
Formats: Paperback, Kindle

My Fair Captain
Rating and Review At Odds

I find myself in the difficult position of feeling differently about a book than I thought of it, so the 3 star rating (how I felt about it) and the review (what I thought about it) are going to be at odds. And in truth, the star rating would really be more like a 2.5, but it's not because of the story itself, and therein lies the dichotomy.

I don't know quite what I was expecting from this book, but the blend of SciFi and Regency romance wasn't badly written, really. The characters were perhaps a bit two dimensional and maybe an argument could be made that they were very cliched, but in all honesty, that's sort of the nature of a Regency romance and I'm very familiar with the themes. It was a bit odd to see so classic a theme as the ton and society mavens parading around in a genetically engineered, predisposed M/M culture, but it wasn't done poorly. From the standpoint of plot development and characterization, I'd simply say I wish there had been a bit more fleshing out of the world, making the blend of historical and futuristic a bit more visceral and clear. And while I don't think there was anything wrong with the plot of the action part of the book, in which an IN captain goes undercover in the house of the King of a Regency planet to discover the perpetrator of massive weapons theft and ends up discovering a conspiracy that threatens war between worlds, I didn't think it was given enough attention to really be the core of the story.

Admittedly, it is a personal genre preference when reading romance novels that the romance happens either in hand with or around a central core that is not related to the romance and not the other way around.

But it wasn't badly written. I did think some of the situations were a bit too contrived and didn't really feel organic to the plot and story, especially as the conflict reached it's somewhat disappointing and too-pat peak. I did like the characters, though. I would've really enjoyed much more about the King and King-Consort and their children. I thought their characters were quite interesting and would revel in reading more about them, especially with a vehicle that fleshed them out and gave them more face time. I enjoyed the main characters, uber-alpha naval captain Nate Hawkins and artistic dream boy with a flash of spine Aiden. They're interesting and likable, and there was enough story there to provide both some depth.

Honestly, if I was rating the story itself and how it was told, I'd give it a 3.5 stars, but I've realized that neither this particular genre, the SciFi-Regency, nor this particular type of M/M pairing, with the big brawny alpha and the submissive effeminate boy, is my preferred cup of tea for M/M romances. I prefer a bit more equality between males. That doesn't have to always be sexual equality; I don't mind a bit of bondage or dom-sub in the bedroom, but I really don't prefer when submissive becomes synonymous with feminine and it extends beyond the bedroom, like it did in My Fair Captain.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Ratings Guide

Here is a rundown of what the star ratings mean to me! It's not a perfect system, so you may see me add in a .5 star here and there if my impression of the book falls somewhere between these:

5 Stars - Loved it
4 Stars - Liked it
3 Stars - It's okay
2 Stars - Didn't like it
1 Star - Hated it

2014 Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Tracy has read 22 books toward her goal of 175 books.
hide

Goodreads

Tracy's bookshelf: read

Zero at the BoneHead Over HeelsLord of the WolfynIn Total SurrenderA Win-Win PropositionNorth of Need

More of Tracy's books »
Book recommendations, book reviews, quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Follow OGBDA!

Follow with Linky

Coming Reviews