Welcome!

Read any good books lately? I have! Grab a cup of coffee or a beverage of your choice and sit back, relax, and have a peek at the books I've loved, the books I didn't, and the reasons why. Enjoy, and happy reading!

NOW LIVE!

It's official! The OGBDA Blog has expanded and our website is now live. Please visit the One Good Book Deserves Another website to see the new site and drop a line to my awesome webmaster, who I've finally let out of the webdesign dungeon...for a quick break, anyway, before he'll be commanded back to the grindstone. ;-)

This is the first of many exciting changes that will be happening over the next several weeks, so stay tuned for more news as OGBDA continues to evolve and grow, and as always, happy reading!

~Tracy

Review Archive

Favorite Quotes

Kindle Fire

Blog Buttons

Get Listed!

Parajunkee Design

Featured In

NetGalley

Amazon

Demon Hunting In Dixie by Lexi George

Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series: Demon Hunter, Book 1
Rating: 4.5 Stars
Length: 384 Pages, 5375 Locations
Formats: Paperback, Kindle

Demon Hunting In Dixie
A Rollicking Farce

In a little town called Hannah, Alabama, Addy Corwin went for a run with her dog and ended up marked by a demon and protected by a gorgeous demon hunter from another dimension. Oh, and she's not quite human any more, either. Just goes to show, sometimes sitting at home munching on MoonPies and watching the boob tube is a safer way to live.

Now the boring small town, a town where nothing interesting ever happens, is revealed as a demon hot spot and Dalvahni warriors such as Brand are coming out of the woodwork. Well, okay, less wood, more glowing portals from their dimension to ours, but still. Ten thousand years old, immortal, these emotionless fighters are on an eternal quest to catch or kill the djegrali, the demons. But Brand had never met anyone like Addy before, and emotionless just doesn't cut it when faced with a mighty southern female who throws herself into every tetchy situation she finds even as she avoids the most perplexing things, like the female known as the mama.

As Addy's world expands to include talking dogs and flying cats, walking corpses missing their dangly bits, and big hulking warriors with entitlement issues, Brand and his warrior brother Ansgar have to learn to adjust to more than just a human town, they have to adjust to the South. And there just ain't no way that's going to end well.

This hysterical romp of a paranormal romance was such a fun read! Yeah, sure, I wanted to poke my eyes out at the cliched and hackneyed first chapter...or two...but when I realized that one should only read Demon Hunting In Dixie with their tongue firmly planted in their cheek, I settled back and enjoyed one of the funniest books I've read recently. It was a riot.

There isn't much in the way of thorough world building or complex character definition, the plot is a bit simple, just about every southern colloquialism that exists is bandied around as dialogue, and the stereotypes and cliche are rapid-fire punchlines to decadently sophomoric jokes, but it made me snort, giggle, and guffaw at regular intervals. It got to the point where all I had to read was Brand saying, "This I can not allow," and I was snickering.

Definitely a book that will be either loved or hated, there just isn't much room for ambivalence here. Sure, the plot was simple, but it was solid enough, and honestly, I've never read anything quite like it before, so it has originality going for it. Addy and Brand were completely likable, and the adjustments they have to make to deal with one another were some of the funniest parts of the book. There was a pleasant amount of sexual chemistry between them and a few deliciously seductive sex scenes. The romance plot thread was the more heavily featured part of the book, and though it started fast and was based far more on lust than emotion or mutual admiration, it was definitely a nice change from many of the paranormal romances I've read of late that seem to forget that there's actually supposed to be a romance developing amidst all the other threads.

True, the secondary characters were mostly caricatures and stereotypes, but I'm sorry, I wouldn't have missed the weenie in a bag and the slap down at the funeral home for anything! I was near rolling on the floor at that scene! In fact, I think this is the only book I've ever read where I was annoyed when the threat of the demon threat started to play a larger part because the hilarity was, as one would expect, considerably toned down.

Sure, the humor was mostly regional and very sophomoric, and okay, I suppose if I look at it clinically it probably wasn't the most surprising book I've ever read. Maybe it speaks volumes that I enjoyed it as much as I did, or calls my taste into question. I don't care. I'm southern. I know mamas like Addy's (not my own, thankfully). I've been to small towns like Hannah, and eaten at places like the Sweet Shop (though with considerably less topiary and dancing in the dining area). I related to all those cliches, just about every one of those stereotypes, and reveled in them all. In short, I just had a real nice time while reading. I can't wait to get my hands on more.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Ratings Guide

Here is a rundown of what the star ratings mean to me! It's not a perfect system, so you may see me add in a .5 star here and there if my impression of the book falls somewhere between these:

5 Stars - Loved it
4 Stars - Liked it
3 Stars - It's okay
2 Stars - Didn't like it
1 Star - Hated it

2014 Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Tracy has read 22 books toward her goal of 175 books.
hide

Goodreads

Tracy's bookshelf: read

Zero at the BoneHead Over HeelsLord of the WolfynIn Total SurrenderA Win-Win PropositionNorth of Need

More of Tracy's books »
Book recommendations, book reviews, quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Follow OGBDA!

Follow with Linky

Coming Reviews