Welcome!

Read any good books lately? I have! Grab a cup of coffee or a beverage of your choice and sit back, relax, and have a peek at the books I've loved, the books I didn't, and the reasons why. Enjoy, and happy reading!

NOW LIVE!

It's official! The OGBDA Blog has expanded and our website is now live. Please visit the One Good Book Deserves Another website to see the new site and drop a line to my awesome webmaster, who I've finally let out of the webdesign dungeon...for a quick break, anyway, before he'll be commanded back to the grindstone. ;-)

This is the first of many exciting changes that will be happening over the next several weeks, so stay tuned for more news as OGBDA continues to evolve and grow, and as always, happy reading!

~Tracy

Review Archive

Favorite Quotes

Kindle Fire

Blog Buttons

Get Listed!

Parajunkee Design

Featured In

NetGalley

Amazon

Dark Lover by J.R. Ward

PhotobucketGenre: Paranormal Romance
Series: Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 1
Rating: 5 Stars
Length: 393 Pages
Formats: Mass Market Paperback, Kindle

Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 1)
With a Roar and a Kiss, It Began

He is the last of his kind, the only full blood vampire left alive on the planet, and he is the leader of a small brotherhood of warriors who protect his threatened race from extinction at the hands of an unholy and de-souled army of lessers. He is Wrath, the biggest, baddest mother you never want to meet in a dark alley. He is the Blind King, but he is a king who refuses to rule.

Beth is a half-vampire, half-human female on the cusp of a transition into a creature she doesn't know exists. An orphan who was raised in foster homes, she is unprepared for the dark abyss of truth that will open its gaping maw at her feet and threaten to devour her. Only Wrath can save her, only Wrath can teach her of her people...only Wrath can love her.

Because he says so.

It is the book that spawned a popularity surge in a literary subgenre, that created a firestorm of fans and spun a thousand writers into similar directions. Long before Kindle, before I became a mindless, book-consuming beast, I picked up a red book in a dark bookstore with a racy title and fell into a world I had only heard rumblings of before. And I was lost.

It wasn't the vampires or other paranormal aspects - read them before. It wasn't the romance - come on, I live for romance and always have. It was the unique and utterly satisfying blend of paranormal romance and urban fantasy. It was the brothers themselves; those damned and damaged warriors each bearing the weight of their own personal crosses with honor and death and sex and booze and pulse-searing rap. It was the brilliant world and the complex, layered plots, too, but mostly it was the intensity of the emotions that each brother garnered just by being.

And it all started with Dark Lover.

I'm not going to sit here and attempt to write what I consider a typical review. I'm not going to go on and on about what the story was about, what worked, what didn't. I'm not going to hash out plot points or discuss story arcs. It's been done by people far more capable than I. All I'm going to say is that for me, Dark Lover is one of those books that transcends reading entertainment and becomes something tangible, something that makes willing suspension of disbelief seem nothing more than a trite catchphrase because there is no disbelief.

It started with this book and regardless of where the series has gone since, regardless of where it has yet to go, this book is the one book that I'll never criticize or critique. I'm just so glad I read it all those years ago, and am happy to have read it again.

It changed...everything.

2 comments:

Julia Rachel Barrett said...

I loved this book and it got me reading the rest of the series...to a point. Now I have to go comment on Rhage!

Tracy said...

Oooh...do tell! When did you stop reading? I'm re-reading the whole series to try to motivate myself to continue onto Lover Mine, which has been in my TBR folder on Kindle for months without so much as a flicker of interest on my end.

I've finished Z's book and will be reviewing that soon, but love to hear what others think of the series and the direction it's taken and what point it went a little cockeyed for them.
~Tracy

Post a Comment

Ratings Guide

Here is a rundown of what the star ratings mean to me! It's not a perfect system, so you may see me add in a .5 star here and there if my impression of the book falls somewhere between these:

5 Stars - Loved it
4 Stars - Liked it
3 Stars - It's okay
2 Stars - Didn't like it
1 Star - Hated it

2014 Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Tracy has read 22 books toward her goal of 175 books.
hide

Goodreads

Tracy's bookshelf: read

Zero at the BoneHead Over HeelsLord of the WolfynIn Total SurrenderA Win-Win PropositionNorth of Need

More of Tracy's books »
Book recommendations, book reviews, quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Follow OGBDA!

Follow with Linky

Coming Reviews